Basic 4x4 Conversion Kit Chevrolet Express / GMC Savana (2003-2021)
This is our standard conversion kit containing the non "over-the-counter" components required to do an IFS 4x4 torsion bar conversion on an 03-2021 G-Series 2500/3500 and 4500 van. The kit contains all the basic components that are not easy to locate, design, or build to complete the 4x4 conversion.
If you are building your van privately and have the time and resources to locate the other various components for the conversion (which we provide a detailed list for), these are all the components required to make the conversion go smooth and work every single time. It is likely currently the most affordable way to convert a full-size van to 4x4.
If you are building the conversion for a customer and need to have firm pricing, you're out of the country, or you just don't want to deal with rounding up or building the other components necessary for your conversion, our turn-key kit is a comprehensive solution for every component necessary to complete your build.
If this is your first stop on our site, take a little bit to review the vans, resources, and information on our "how do I convert my van to 4x4" page. We also have answered a lot of frequently asked questions on our FAQ page. If you have further questions, we'd be happy to answer them by phone or Email. It is our goal to make the process as seamless and productive as possible and we've gone to a great deal to design a product that is field-tested and made for a pain-resistant install.
Included in kit:
- Front differential mounting system and modified center link
- Bolt up transmission 4x4 conversion system (4L80, 6L90, 8L90)
- Transfer case shifter kit
- Sway Bar adapters kit
- Shock adapters
- Bump stops
- Rear-end kit
- Hub adapters
- Chassis cut templates
- Torsion bar carriage system
- Threadlocker, paint pen, frame coating paint
- Necessary additional "no-pain" hardware
- 100ish page full-color manual w/ detailed install photos, mechanical drawings, and torque specs.
Fitment Designed for:
Van Side - 2003-2021 Chevrolet Express 2500/3500/4500 series vans with 4L80 and 6L90 Transmission (4.8L, 6.0L, 6.6L diesel). (8L90 transmission requires Timberline 8L90 motor mounts, call for details.) Cab and chassis variants, 4500 series vans require additional fabrication to box frame for torsion bar carriage. 6.6L diesel vans require fuel filter relocation and may require fuel hoses, 135" wheelbase vans require evap box relocation.
Truck Side - Much of the design of our system is built around the 2007.5-2010 K2500/K3500 series trucks. This just happens to be the year range that most resembles the van chassis design. There are components that we've chosen outside of this year range, for instance, the transfer case, which we prefer out of the earlier 01-07 models (although newer Magna transfer cases do interface with our components).
We have a standard list of tools that we recommend listed in the front of our manual. Not every single tool is required, but having these at your disposal will facilitate your build. If you are familiar with most of these tools, you're darn capable of pulling this off.
☐ (2) Jack stands
☐ 220v welder w/ shielding gas
☐ Air compressor / pneumatic tools
☐ Angle grinder/cutter
☐ Automotive lift (2 post preferred)
☐ Combination wrenches metric and SAE
☐ Deadblow or plastic-coated hammer
☐ Deadman (Ideally 2)
☐ Drill bits/cutting oil
☐ Electric impact gun
☐ Electric or pneumatic and conventional ratchet
☐ Floor jack
☐ Hose pick
☐ Magnetic lamp
☐ Oil drain and catch
☐ Panel popper
☐ Plasma cutter (It is difficult to complete the GM conversion with only angle grinders)
☐ Pneumatic impact gun
☐ Ratcheting wrenches
☐ Socket, Torx, hex bits sets
☐ Torsion bar tensioning tool
☐ Torque wrench
☐ Transmission jack
☐ Vice grips
Additional Consumable Materials Checklist:
☐ Blue thread locker (If you prefer a different grade that’s acceptable)
☐ Brake cleaner/degreaser of your choice
☐ Brake fluid
☐ Cutting wheels, 3”/4”
☐ Electrical tape, torch/lighter, wire heat shrink, 10-16 gauge butt connectors w/ heat shrink
☐ Gasket maker (TA-29 or TA-31 Ford silicone / AC Delco Equivalent, or Black RTV)
☐ Gear oil ( calls for Full Synthetic 75W-90 ) 4-5 Quarts Front/Rear
☐ Loctite 263 thread locker, 50 mL
☐ Paint pen (included in master kits)
☐ PB blaster, WD40 or your choice of penetrating catalyst
☐ Plasma cutter consumables (if you’re using one)
☐ Shop towels
☐ Sanding disks, we use 3” roloc 30 grit, and 2” Scotch Brite discs 2" 3m Roloc sanding disk Scotch Brite
☐ Epoxy paint and a hard clear coat like a wheel coating ideal. Sub: Self-etching primer, black paint of your choice, clear-coat recommended
☐ Dex VI Transmission fluid (8L90 + 261 Transfer Cases) Typically 4 Quarts unless servicing transmission during conversion
☐ Welding wire, argon gas
(It's a lot of parts, please visit individual product listings for more information on this.)
Tips / Skill Level:
1-10 (10 being most difficult) Level 8. We like to equate the conversion to a slightly more involved job akin to a 6" 3/4 ton IFS GM lift kit, only instead of 10 hours of work, it's more like 35-45.
This product may work with other model vehicles.
Please read through this site, read through the FAQs, the product listings, and familiarize yourself with the conversion, you're going to have questions, we have answers, just let us know how we can help!
Price, Shipping, Fulfillment, Taxes, Quality and Returns
- Price + Shipping: The cost of the kit ranges from $4250-$4650 depending on your transmission. Our kits are carefully wrapped and packaged and ship LTL freight. The average cost of shipping domestically is $250 and it is recommended to have a forklift and ship to a commercial address. Shipping to residential and liftgate service adds cost. Customers in Colorado may arrange for in-person pickup within 1-2 business days of purchase taking noted lead times into consideration.
- Shipping time for full kits: We typically have a 1-week assembly requirement to package and prepare your shipment. You will be sent tracking information and signed up for email alerts unless otherwise instructed.
- Taxes: Colorado residents must pay sales tax of 7.5%, no sales tax is collected on out-of-state shipments currently.
- Quality and Returns: We are consistently complimented on the quality of our products and the ease of installation. Components are hand-built here almost exclusively in Colorado by seasoned professionals who are fanatics about design and execution. If you are in any way disappointed in the components we will issue a full refund less the cost of shipping when the product is returned. If you decide to return any components that didn't apply to your build or you changed your mind about, shipping and a 15% restocking fee will be deducted from the purchase refund.